My mom ate a lot of things — frogs’ legs, escargots, sweetbreads — that horrified me as a child, but I took to caviar right away. She didn’t use the good stuff, but even made with supermarket roe, this dish makes an elegant impression. Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 30 min (includes making pancakes)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 buttermilk pancakes
- About 1/3 cup sour cream
- About 2 tablespoons caviar (2 oz)
- 1 hard-boiled large egg yolk, forced through a sieve
- 1/2 scallion, minced
- Cook butter in a very small saucepan over moderate heat, swirling pan occasionally, until golden brown (be careful not to let it burn). Keep butter warm.
- Spread each pancake with about 1 tablespoon sour cream (to taste) and top with about 1 teaspoon caviar. Sprinkle with some of yolk and scallion. Stack 3 pancakes on each of 2 plates and drizzle with brown butter.