These flavorful pancakes make a great breakfast (drizzled with maple syrup) or appetizer (topped with chives).
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped jarred steamed chestnuts (7 to 8 ounces), divided
- Créme fraîche or sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- Chopped chives or maple syrup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Transfer 2 tablespoons bacon drippings to blender; add milk and next 3 ingredients, then 1 cup chestnuts. Blend until batter is smooth. Pour batter into bowl; stir in remaining 1/2 cup chestnuts.
- Pour remaining drippings into small bowl. Brush same skillet with some drippings; heat over medium heat. Drop in batter by rounded tablespoonfuls. Cook pancakes until brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plates. Top with créme fraîche and bacon, then chives or maple syrup.