Duck fat makes for a special treat; you can also use clarified butter or ghee, available at specialty foods stores.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Duck fat or clarified unsalted butter, melted (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- Whisk milk and eggs in a large bowl to blend. Whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture; whisk just to blend. Cover and chill for up to 1 hour.
- Melt duck fat in a large skillet to a depth of 1/3″ over medium heat. Using a 1/4-cup measure and working in batches, spoon batter into skillet. Cook until pancakes are slightly puffed and golden brown and bubbles form and begin to pop along edges, 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 1-2 minutes longer. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pancakes to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Transfer pancakes to plates. Drizzle generously with syrup.