Editor’s note: Moby shared this recipe exclusively with Epicurious. To read more about Moby and take a peek inside his kitchen, click here. Moby has been a practicing vegan for 20 years. He makes these vegan pancakes with organic ingredients, including lots of fresh berries, and serves vegan sausage alongside.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-grain spelt flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups plain full-fat soy milk or rice and soy milk blend*
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) fresh blueberries or frozen, unthawed, plus 1/2 cup fresh blueberries or raspberries for serving
- Maple syrup for serving
- *Moby prefers EdenBlend, an organic rice and soy milk blend, because it has a neutral, not too sweet flavor. It's available in natural food stores and from edenfoods.com.
- In medium bowl, stir together spelt flour, oat bran, wheat bran, baking soda, and salt. Add soy milk and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Brush large nonstick or cast-iron griddle or skillet with oil and heat over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Working in 3 to 4 batches, pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle and press 12 to 15 blueberries into each pancake. Cook until bubbles appear and pop on surface and undersides are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip pancakes, then turn off heat and let pancakes continue to cook in pan until undersides are firm and light golden brown, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to plate, berry side up, and keep warm.
- Repeat to cook remaining pancakes, oiling and reheating griddle between each batch. Serve pancakes warm with additional berries and maple syrup.