There’s nothing SCARY about making these orange pumpkin pancakes with black cinnamon syrup for Halloween breakfast or dinner.
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 brown sugar
- 4 TBSP melted butter
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 5 TBSP canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- black food coloring gel
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- few drops of orange gel food coloring
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup water
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with no stick spray.
- Combine eggs, buttermilk, butter, pumpkin, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Use an electric mixer to blend ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and blend with mixer until smooth. Add just a few drops of gel food coloring until you get a nice orange.
- Pour or scoop the batter onto hot skillet, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake.
- When the batter stops bubbling and edges begin to harden, flip the pancakes. They should be golden brown. This will take from 1 to 2 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes and cook other side for the same amount of time, until golden brown.
- In a saucepan combine all ingredients except for the food coloring gel. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously.
- As it starts to heat, add in a little of the black food coloring and mix in, add more until it’s as dark as can be (it doesn’t take much). Allow it to boil for a few moments until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool enough to put into a squeeze bottle.