This Apple Ginger Smash is the best cocktail to enjoy on a dark winter night! Slightly spicy with warming applejack, it makes your average evening a little more special.
- to make the ginger syrup:
- * 1 cup granulated sugar
- * 1 cup water
- * 1/4 cup peeled chopped ginger
- * 1 cinnamon stick
- to make the cocktail:
- * 5 1/2 ounce applejack
- * 3 ounce non alcoholic apple cider (can substitute apple juice)
- * 4 1/2 ounce ginger syrup
- * 2 ounce lemon juice
- * apple slice, for garnish (optional)
- Place sugar and water together in a small saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add ginger and reduce heat so syrup comes to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add cinnamon stick; simmer another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and steep everything for 10 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick.
- Steep another 20 minutes at room temperature, then refrigerate for 30-45 minutes with the ginger still in the syrup.
- Remove ginger and keep syrup refrigerated until ready to use.
- Combine all cocktail ingredients except apple slices in a shaker with ice. Shake and strain into two cocktail glasses.
- Garnish with apple slices and serve.