Pudding is a dessert cake and is also a popular delicacy in Western countries. In the UK and most Commonwealth countries, pudding is used to describe both savory and sweet dishes. But what is pease pudding? This is not a sweet dessert pudding as usual. Let join with Viknews.com to know more interesting information about this kind of pudding as well as learn the most delicious pease pudding homemade recipe.
What is pease pudding?
Pease pudding is a traditional British dish. This pudding came from northeastern of England and is not a pudding in the sense of dessert. It is a delicious dish and is served with cooked meat ( usually ham or gammon).
A pease pudding made with cooked peas to create a soft and soft crust, leftover pudding can be fried. The dish is no different from the famous light peas, also very popular in the North and made with dried peas – although you will never fry green beans, they are too soft and do not hold shape.
In case you doubt the popularity of Pease Pudding, the traditional dish even has a poem about it:
Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold
Pease porridge in the pot, nine days old
Some like it hot, some like it cold
Some like it in the pot, nine days old.
The most delicious pease pudding homemade recipe
Pease pudding is also known locally as pease pottage or pease porridge. Regular pudding is served with cooked pork or gammon and the tasty recipe below is taken from the recipes of famous chef Gordon Ramsay from the Gammon recipe with Pease Pudding and Parsley Sauce.
Ingredients of pease pudding recipe
- 2 kg boneless smoked gammon joint, soaked.
- 2 celery sticks, cut into chunks
- Few thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- Pease Pudding
- 500g yellow split peas, soaked overnight in cold water
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered,
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp malt vinegar
- Sea salt and white pepper
- 20g butter, cut into chunks
- Parsley Sauce
- 20g butter
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 20g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp English mustard
- 150ml whole milk
- Handful flat leaved parsley leaved chopped
- Serves 4 Drain the gammon and place in a large saucepan with the onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves, thyme and black peppercorns. Pour on enough water to cover, then bring to the boil. Skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Lower the heat and simmer gently for about 2 hours, skimming occasionally, until the gammon is cooked through. Leave in the liquor.
- For the pease pudding, drain the soaked peas and tip into a saucepan. Add the onion, carrot, bay leaves and cover with water (adding some of the stock from the gammon if its not too salty). Bring to the boil and skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Lower the heat and simmer gently for an hour or until the peas are tender.
- Discard the onion, carrot, and bay leaves and tip the peas into a blender. Blitz to a puree, then pour into a clean pan. Add the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Gradually beat in the butter a cube at a time. Keep warm until ready to serve, adding a little water if too dry.
- To make the parsley sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the shallots and saute gently until softened but not colored, 4 – 6 minutes. Add the flour and mustard, stir well and cook for a further 2 – 3 minutes. Gradually stir in the milk and 150 ml of the strained liquor from the gammon. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 6 – 8 minutes, stirring every so often. The sauce should be quite thick.
- Just before serving, stir the chopped parsley, cream and a squeeze of lemon juice into the sauce and check the seasoning. Lift the gammon out of the liquor onto a board. Carve the meat into thick slices and warm through in some of the liquor if necessary. Serve with the pease pudding and the parsley sauce.
Served with a thick piece of cooked meat or steak sauce and parsley sauce. The pudding can be kept in the refrigerator for several days if it was frozen well. Viknews.com thank you for your interest. Let keep up for our next article. Please continue to follow Viknews.com’s share category to update more delicious cake recipe in the future. Have a nice day!